More traffic is inevitable with additional housing. It is up to the Borough’s Highways department to do the technical analysis to decide whether the road networks are adequate, but the Neighbourhood Plan can be specific about issues to be addressed.
The Neighbourhood Plan will:
- Make sure there are alternative routes to using Pound Corner/Old Vicarage Lane for traffic from all new housing developments
- Stop traffic from new development using Nightingale Lane and Rowborough Lane
- Reduce the impact of additional traffic from outside the village
- Deliver a 20 mph on village roads
- Makes sure transport officers focus on the need for good village access to the A420.
The relevant Neighbourhood Plan policies are:
- NP5 – requires good access to the A420 to be demonstrated by developer proposals (page 25)
- NP6 – ensures new road connections are delivered from housing development that minimise traffic on existing village roads (page 26)
- NP7 – minimises the impact of Rowborough traffic on village roads (page 2)
These policies are reproduced below. The full text and policies can be viewed here.
NP POLICY 5 – ACCESS ONTO THE A420 Development proposals will be supported by Transport Assessments and Travel Plans which demonstrate that car journeys will be minimised where possible and junction improvements will be delivered to ensure journey time reliability is maintained onto the A420. The highway network should facilitate appropriate access for traffic travelling to and from South Marston at peak times.
NP POLICY 6 – CONNECTIVITY AND PERMEABILITY A new road connection between Old Vicarage Lane and Thornhill Road will be part of the street network and serve the new housing areas. The vehicular network will allow for all new strategic housing allocations between Old Vicarage Lane and Thornhill Road to be able to access the new Village Centre without using existing village roads.
NP POLICY 7 - ROWBOROUGH TRAFFIC: In addition to a primary access to the A420 for Rowborough at Acorn Bridge, a main access will connect the new village of Rowborough with Old Vicarage Lane to enable traffic to join the A420 at the Carpenters Arms junction. It shall be designed in such a way that it discourages traffic from Rowborough using the existing and proposed road network across South Marston Neighbourhood Plan Area as an alternative route to the A420. Should an additional access be required onto Old Vicarage Lane, this would be designed to avoid rat-running through South Marston village. No new development shall be served from Nightingale Lane or Rowborough Lane and traffic measures will be implemented to deter extraneous traffic from using these routes.